Skip to main content

Weighing In On Mental Illness - After A Long Silence

mental health, kate spade, anthony bourdain,
Reach Out - Get Help


With all the sad news circulating today about yet another celebrity taking their life after a battle with mental illness, I felt I just had to weigh in.

I know…I know. There are a million people putting in their “two cents” on this topic right now. Some opinions are helpful, some are hurtful. Mine may fall silent among the crowd, but I am going to put it out there regardless, because I have been there. I believe there is strength in personal experience, so I am choosing to share mine.

For as long as I can remember, I have struggled with feelings of disconnection. I remember standing on the playground as a child at school, having an existential crisis while looking at my hands or other parts of myself, thinking “is this really my hand (or foot, arm, leg, whatever)?”, and then immediately feeling shame and embarrassment for having such weird thoughts. I never talked to anyone about this. Somehow, I just knew in my mind that to tell someone the strange things I was thinking would cause them to look differently at me. Pretty sad when a 10 year old knows that.

I struggled through my adolescence to gain footing and security. I envied people around me who just seemed to ‘get it’. They were winning at life, and I was just a gangling creep who didn’t know who she was. I felt alone. I mastered the art of ‘smile and nod’ when someone would ask me how I was doing. I had a great party face. But inside I felt like I was dying. Truth be told, that little girl is still a very big part of who I am today, and the struggles are still VERY real.

I never felt secure. My overly active imagination was always taking me places I did not want to go. If I could not get in touch with my mom for 10 minutes (and this was WAY before the age of the cell phone guys!), I would panic. I could go through every possible horrendous situation you could imagine. My mom has been through worse in my imaginings than any character in a horror movie, I guarantee you! She was typically the focal point of my anxiety, because I loved her so much, and could not imagine my life without her in it.

Here is where I could start making excuses – my parents divorced when I was young, my childhood was not stable…and all of that can definitely impact a kid growing up. Living through my own divorce, and seeing how it affected my children has been awful. But at some point, I have to realize that my issues are deeper than just environment. There was something real going on (or not going on) in my brain.

At the age of 18, when I left home for college, I entered a whole new level of mental illness hell. The looming demon of anxiety overtook my life, and for nearly 20 years, I was consumed and controlled. I can vividly remember the night I had my first real anxiety attack (and I am sure my mom can as well, since she had to rush me to the emergency room). That night started a terrible journey for me. One of sleepless nights, endless trips to the ER, loss of freedom and zeal for life, and the overwhelming sense of shame that consumed me because of my illness.

See, if you have never experienced depression, or anxiety, or God forbid a full blown panic attack – you just don’t KNOW. You can’t imagine the terror. The uncontrollable physical manifestations. The consuming sadness that pulls you into darker places than you EVER wanted to go. And the feeling of helplessness that overtakes you. Add to that the shame and embarrassment, and the sense of absolute failure because you can’t just “get over it” like everyone is telling you to do…it’s exhausting!

You can’t just “get over it”. There is a big difference between someone who just has the “blues” and someone who is genuinely struggling with mental illness. Everyone gets down every now and then. Perhaps too much stress, not enough sleep, poor nutrition, etc. can make even the strongest person wear down. However, these symptoms are typically alleviated by an invigorating walk in the woods, a cup of coffee and time to download with a great friend, a mini-vacation to get away and unwind, or simply just a change in their self-talk. These all help to re-focus and re-charge the person who is run down, and they are ready to attack life again.

But the person with true mental illness? They can do ALL of these things (speaking from personal experience), and may feel momentary relief, but the blackness always creeps back in. Unwanted. Unwelcome. But an ever-present member of their existence nonetheless. Mental illness is isolating…that is what it is meant to be. The devils that promote and feed the disease want us to feel alone. That way, no one will seek help. No one will want to fess up and admit that they are slowly fading.

What is the answer? Transparency. Honestly. Vulnerability. How can we achieve this? We must find ways to remove the stigma. People struggling with mental illness need to be safe coming out of the hole they have been hiding in. They hide because they don’t feel safe coming out. If they come out there will be judgement. There will be opinions. There will be someone with all the answers. Who wants to deal with that?

The recent suicides of Kate Spade, and now Anthony Bourdain are crushing. In light of all the violence going on with school shootings, mass shootings, terrorism, and so much more – where people’s lives are being stolen from them – there are still people living in such heavy darkness they feel the need to take their own. To say this is sad would be an incredible understatement. Somewhere the madness must stop.

I don’t have the answers. I would not begin to claim them. I do, however, believe that one step taken in the right direction can start a chain reaction. If I open my mouth to share my pain, perhaps someone else will feel the freedom to do the same. Once the ball is rolling, I hope it starts a flood for others. I pray it opens the doors of freedom, for people to share what’s hiding in their hearts.

My friends…if this is you…I pray you reach out. Find someone in your life safe to talk with. If there isn’t already someone there for you, reach out and find someone. I understand the darkness. But I also know that there are doors where the light peeks through. You just have to take the first steps to walk through them!

Blessings and good days ahead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shack- A review of the controversy

Not all things can be taken at face value- sometimes you must dig a bit deeper *** Spoiler alert- I am going to be writing my thoughts about The Shack , by William P. Young. In this review/discussion, some of the details of the book will be revealed. Some may not have read the book, some may not care to. I pray that my discussion will at least pique your curiosity to investigate it for yourself, but I do apologize for any plot revelations. *** Things are not always what they seem. At least that has been my experience in life. As soon as I think I have a situation/person figured out, they shock the daylights out of me. Some things in life are predictable; we know the sun will rise each morning, most of us have our "routine", but there are times when life just surprises. I was given a copy of the book, The Shack  by William P. Young, from a friend at church who told me, "this book has changed my life; you should read it". I took it from her happily, bei

Eternal Choices

Beautiful Gates- Eternal Hope The story posted below is a true account of the night I gave my life to Jesus Christ. I pray it will minister to you. Allow yourself to get swept into the truth of Heaven, the beauty of Jesus, and the reality that we all must make that decision- what will we experience...Heavens' Gates or Hells' Flames? A Decision Made in Eternity           “Can you even understand what he is saying?”, a fellow student whispered to me. It was the fall of 1997, and we were sitting in a college algebra class listening to a first-generation Chinese professor attempt to holler instructions across the vast auditorium of nearly 150 teenagers. “Um…no…sorry. I can’t make out a word.” I answered back sheepishly. Truth-be-told, I had not been able to grasp one concept he had droned on about in the nearly three-week eternity that was the class so far.           As he continued to ramble on about facts and figures, that sounded as much like his foreign accent as

Would you sink?

Will you trust Jesus to hold you up, even in the deepest waters? Jesus is the guard of my life How hard is it to trust the Lord? Some moments it seems so easy…but other times it is so difficult. Why is that? He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So if He is not changing, why should our trust in Him change? It really all boils down to perspective. Where our focus is at that moment. If we are keeping our eyes fixed on the Lord in the midst of a difficult situation, it seems smaller, and we are less apt to stress out. But if we remove our eyes from His face and focus on the situation at hand, it often appears insurmountable and we begin to feel overwhelmed and despair. It makes me think of Peter, when he stepped out of the boat and began to walk on the water towards Jesus in Matthew 14:27-31. There is more to this passage of Scripture that we could look at in terms of being in the midst of a storm, but for the intent of this post, I want to focus on Peter and what