Skip to main content

Directional Changes



Directional Changes- Are you willing to bend?

willing to yield ready for change
We want big directional signs from God, God just wants us to pay attention- Lysa TerKeurst

Proverbs 4:20-27
"My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; keep them in the mindset of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh.
Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life. Put away from you a deceitful mouth, and put perverse lips far from you. Let your eyes look straight ahead, and your eyelids look right before you.
Ponder the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established.  Do not turn to the right or to the left; remove your foot from evil."


Yesterday as I was dropping my daughter for volleyball practice, I ended up behind a truck that was turning into the YMCA parking lot. I was waiting for the driver to turn, when I noticed that their right blinker was on. This would have been fine, but for the fact that they were turning left. At some point the blinker lights changed to left, then back to right, then to left again. It was almost as if the driver did not know which way they wanted to turn. Seeing as how turning right would have placed them in the middle of the football field, I knew that they would have to turn left. But what if we had just been at a four way intersection? I would not have known what their intentions were, and it would have caused greater confusion.

I believe that it is the same in our walk with the Lord. The world is watching our blinkers. They are looking to see which way we are going to turn when circumstances change for the worse. They are looking to see if the way we live Mon-Sat measures up to what we proclaim on Sunday morning. They are looking to see if we really and truly believe and serve this Jesus we tell them can meet their every need. Do we believe that ourselves? Do you believe it?

If we are walking around, living as the world lives, we are sending mixed signals. We are telling the world that to live for Christ is only meant for Sunday mornings, in the comfort our church buildings, lifting up our high and lofty praises to God, but meaning very little in our hearts. Scripture tells us in Proverbs 4:20-27 that we are to keep a watch over our eyes and our hearts, because the “issues” of life flow from there. We have to realize that what we put into our hearts through our eyes and ears, comes out through our mouths and actions. I am sure you have all heard the term “garbage in, garbage out”. Are you mindful of what you allow in?

This same passage tells us that we need to be careful to keep our eyes focused straight ahead- do not look to the left or the right. I believe this equates to keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus. It is easy to stray if we are looking around us at all the glitter and sparkle that the world offers. All the temptations that satan provides to entice us into sin. But if our focus is on Him, and we are trusting Him to make our path sure, we will have much less chance to slip up and fall. And we will be much less likely to send mixed signals to the world.

Are you ready to set your course? Then do as Isaiah instructs in 26:3 “You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is fixed on You, because he trusts you.” Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus. It will bring you peace as you faithfully follow Him, and your blinker will point the world to Him as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shack- A review of the controversy

Not all things can be taken at face value- sometimes you must dig a bit deeper *** Spoiler alert- I am going to be writing my thoughts about The Shack , by William P. Young. In this review/discussion, some of the details of the book will be revealed. Some may not have read the book, some may not care to. I pray that my discussion will at least pique your curiosity to investigate it for yourself, but I do apologize for any plot revelations. *** Things are not always what they seem. At least that has been my experience in life. As soon as I think I have a situation/person figured out, they shock the daylights out of me. Some things in life are predictable; we know the sun will rise each morning, most of us have our "routine", but there are times when life just surprises. I was given a copy of the book, The Shack  by William P. Young, from a friend at church who told me, "this book has changed my life; you should read it". I took it from her happily, bei

Eternal Choices

Beautiful Gates- Eternal Hope The story posted below is a true account of the night I gave my life to Jesus Christ. I pray it will minister to you. Allow yourself to get swept into the truth of Heaven, the beauty of Jesus, and the reality that we all must make that decision- what will we experience...Heavens' Gates or Hells' Flames? A Decision Made in Eternity           “Can you even understand what he is saying?”, a fellow student whispered to me. It was the fall of 1997, and we were sitting in a college algebra class listening to a first-generation Chinese professor attempt to holler instructions across the vast auditorium of nearly 150 teenagers. “Um…no…sorry. I can’t make out a word.” I answered back sheepishly. Truth-be-told, I had not been able to grasp one concept he had droned on about in the nearly three-week eternity that was the class so far.           As he continued to ramble on about facts and figures, that sounded as much like his foreign accent as

Would you sink?

Will you trust Jesus to hold you up, even in the deepest waters? Jesus is the guard of my life How hard is it to trust the Lord? Some moments it seems so easy…but other times it is so difficult. Why is that? He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So if He is not changing, why should our trust in Him change? It really all boils down to perspective. Where our focus is at that moment. If we are keeping our eyes fixed on the Lord in the midst of a difficult situation, it seems smaller, and we are less apt to stress out. But if we remove our eyes from His face and focus on the situation at hand, it often appears insurmountable and we begin to feel overwhelmed and despair. It makes me think of Peter, when he stepped out of the boat and began to walk on the water towards Jesus in Matthew 14:27-31. There is more to this passage of Scripture that we could look at in terms of being in the midst of a storm, but for the intent of this post, I want to focus on Peter and what