Skip to main content

How well do you wait?



How well do you wait?

Psalm 130:5 "I wait for the Lord, my soul does wait, and in His word I do hope."

Waiting with Purpose
We wait for the unseen to become seen

Waiting is hard. It can seem like an unending tunnel of darkness. Depending on what you are waiting for, it can be very easy to lose heart and despair.
Waiting on a job…while you sit wondering how you are going to make the rent or put food on the table.
Waiting on confirmation…when you need an answer from God about which direction to take, while feeling as though time is just ticking away and your life is passing you by.
Waiting on a mate…watching everyone around you (or at least you think) live out their lives happily with a spouse or significant other in their life while you eat yet another meal alone.
Even waiting in line, at a restaurant, on hold…the list goes on and on and it is never easy. But waiting is a part of life, and it is not going anywhere! Remember this truth though…even in the waiting, God is there.
While we are waiting, we have to remember that God is sovereign. He is aware of every minute that passes. He sees every tear of frustration that is shed. He hears every prayer and even our cries of anger. God is not scared of us. He is not scared of our questions, our fears and insecurities, or even our moments of doubt and unbelief. In fact, He welcomes us to express ourselves. But we do need to be mindful of HOW we are waiting.
When the Israelites were delivered from their 400 years of slavery and oppression in Egypt, they rejoiced. But it did not take long for them to begin finding things to grumble and complain about. They were hot and thirsty, and there was no water. God turned pools of bitter water sweet so they could have drink. They were hungry and there was no food. So God sent manna to rain down from heaven every day to nourish them. They complained they had no meat, so God sent quail to bless them. The manna would have been enough, but He loved them enough to bless them with more.
We need to be cautious that in our times of waiting, we don’t get caught up in the cycle of grumbling and complaining, and not doing what we can in the process. There is a song out on Christian radio right now that speaks clearly of what we should be doing while we wait. The following lyrics from that song, While I’m Waiting by John Waller, give us direction and encouragement:
While I’m waiting

I will serve you

While I’m waiting

I will worship

While I’m waiting

I will not faint

I’ll be running the race

Even while I wait 

Those same Israelites that were delivered miraculously took a 40 year journey that should have only lasted about 2-3 weeks. Because of their doubt and unbelief, they had to wander the desert all that time. In addition, their grumbling, complaining, disobedience, and lack of faith caused an entire generation of people to never even see the Promised Land! 

We do not want to be like that faithless generation, and waste our times of waiting. Desert periods seem like they are sent to dry us up and destroy our hopes. But in truth, they are sent to teach us something, to strip us of ourselves and our independence from God, and to bring us closer to Him. He proves Himself faithful, even in the midst of the darkest valley or driest desert, and only keeps us there as long as is necessary. Don’t spend 40 years wandering around when you don’t have to. Receive what you need to learn, and get out!  

While we are waiting, we need to be serving, praising, and trusting. God has proven Himself faithful again and again; and He provides for us, even in the waiting. Don’t lose heart and become discouraged. Trust Him and He will bring you forth into your promised land!         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shack- A review of the controversy

Not all things can be taken at face value- sometimes you must dig a bit deeper *** Spoiler alert- I am going to be writing my thoughts about The Shack , by William P. Young. In this review/discussion, some of the details of the book will be revealed. Some may not have read the book, some may not care to. I pray that my discussion will at least pique your curiosity to investigate it for yourself, but I do apologize for any plot revelations. *** Things are not always what they seem. At least that has been my experience in life. As soon as I think I have a situation/person figured out, they shock the daylights out of me. Some things in life are predictable; we know the sun will rise each morning, most of us have our "routine", but there are times when life just surprises. I was given a copy of the book, The Shack  by William P. Young, from a friend at church who told me, "this book has changed my life; you should read it". I took it from her happily, bei

Eternal Choices

Beautiful Gates- Eternal Hope The story posted below is a true account of the night I gave my life to Jesus Christ. I pray it will minister to you. Allow yourself to get swept into the truth of Heaven, the beauty of Jesus, and the reality that we all must make that decision- what will we experience...Heavens' Gates or Hells' Flames? A Decision Made in Eternity           “Can you even understand what he is saying?”, a fellow student whispered to me. It was the fall of 1997, and we were sitting in a college algebra class listening to a first-generation Chinese professor attempt to holler instructions across the vast auditorium of nearly 150 teenagers. “Um…no…sorry. I can’t make out a word.” I answered back sheepishly. Truth-be-told, I had not been able to grasp one concept he had droned on about in the nearly three-week eternity that was the class so far.           As he continued to ramble on about facts and figures, that sounded as much like his foreign accent as

Would you sink?

Will you trust Jesus to hold you up, even in the deepest waters? Jesus is the guard of my life How hard is it to trust the Lord? Some moments it seems so easy…but other times it is so difficult. Why is that? He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So if He is not changing, why should our trust in Him change? It really all boils down to perspective. Where our focus is at that moment. If we are keeping our eyes fixed on the Lord in the midst of a difficult situation, it seems smaller, and we are less apt to stress out. But if we remove our eyes from His face and focus on the situation at hand, it often appears insurmountable and we begin to feel overwhelmed and despair. It makes me think of Peter, when he stepped out of the boat and began to walk on the water towards Jesus in Matthew 14:27-31. There is more to this passage of Scripture that we could look at in terms of being in the midst of a storm, but for the intent of this post, I want to focus on Peter and what